Saturday, July 13, 2013

Clutter

     In one of my areas on my mission, we had an exceptionally hard time keeping our apartment clean. It didn't matter what was done, there always seemed to be a mess. I think the biggest reason was because there were 4 of us elders living in a 2 bedroom apartment. This wasn't so much of a problem when we were out doing missionary work. I could focus and keep track of all the things I needed to do and get them done just fine, but as soon as we got home for the night to plan or studied in the morning I had the hardest time doing so. Now keep in mind, there are very few things in this world that distract me more than a big mess. It made me so frustrated! It wasn't until we finally got our own apartment that we were able to keep up on our mess and have a clean apartment. It was so nice to have that change and the spirit in our apartment was so different and it allowed us to keep a clear mind and focus all our efforts on our work. I had never realized how true the teaching of the Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley was, which states, "cleanliness is next to godliness,” until I had experienced the beauty of a clean apartment.


     Now I want to relate this to your life. There are many voices in the world that compete for your attention. If you allow those voices to clutter your mind they can easily drown out the things that help you focus on Christ. How on Earth can you expect to focus on Christ throughout your day if you fill the entirety of it with garbage like mindless television, video games, or even Facebook? How could you even try to focus your thoughts on Christ if you cloud your mind with drugs and alcohol? How can others see the Light of Christ in you if you are hateful, dishonest, or judgmental? My invitation to you would be to unclutter your life and fill it with things of eternal worth like reading your scriptures, praying to God, and exemplifying the attributes of Christ. I know that as you do so, you will see changes in your life that will ultimately bring you joy in life and help you have more of a clear mind. This is my testimony, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment