Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Why a Mission?

     As a missionary, many people ask you a very difficult question to answer, "Why did you decide to serve a mission?" Now keep in mind that we serve for 2 years as missionaries, and that covers a good amount of time for someone of my age. When you are like me and have been out for almost 22 months of your mission, the reason you decided to serve a mission is not able to change, but the reason you are still out may have. So, as important of a question as it may seem to be to find out why a missionary decided to serve, the answer you will get may not be as up-to-date as it could be. One of my past missionary companions, Elder Webb, always liked to present this question in contrast, as he felt it would get a more up-to-date answer to virtually the same question, "Why are you still on a mission?"
     Let me share with you how they are different. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to serve a mission. I was never forced into it, I wasn't bribed, I really had no agenda at all, other than I just really wanted to serve a mission, and be a missionary. I always liked it when the missionaries came over to our house for dinner, because they were so cool to me. I wanted to be just like them. That is a good reason to go on a mission and it got me to go on one, but it isn't the only reason to go, nor is it necessarily the best reason.
     Although my desire to be a missionary has not changed, my list of reasons for still being on my mission have gotten longer. Seeing a family become more united with the knowledge that THEY CAN BE A FAMILY FOR ALL ETERNITY, and being able to carry THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST WITH MINE are just 2 of the many reasons that have been tacked on my list. My most recent reason to stay on my mission was strengthened just last night, when we gathered together in Pulaski, TN at our Family Home Evening (FHE) activity in the park. We had a pretty slim group last night, but as we started to talk about who else could be there that was not, the Spirit under that pavilion changed and excitement filled every person in attendance. These people in Giles County are very desirous to have their own branch (congregation) in Pulaski and you can see it in their countenance as we meet every Monday at 6pm in the park. So right now you could say I am still on a mission, because I AM HERE TO ORGANIZE A BRANCH IN PULASKI!
     Just remember, it doesn't matter why someone decided to serve a mission, what matters is why they are still out. I love being a missionary and love being able to serve my God in His work! There is nowhere else I'd rather be. I write this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog! I have added your blog to my Pintrest Board; L.D.S. 'Mormon' perspectives.

    ReplyDelete