Saturday, August 3, 2013

Power to Heal

     Today, I hope to help you understand what the Atonement of Jesus Christ really means. Just the other day, I had someone tell me, "Well, I am so very grateful that Jesus died for me and I am forever in debt to Him for it, but that is nothing like being raped or losing a loved one, so how could He possibly be able to help me get through this?" I didn't realize that people actually thought that. In this post, I hope to have the Spirit help me teach you that ALL things that are unfair in life can be healed and made right through the Atonement of Christ.
     I have used this scripture before, but I feel it is appropriate to use it again. In Alma 7:11-12 it states that He toke upon Him the pains and the sicknesses of His people so He may know how to succor His people according to their infirmities. Again, the word "succor" more or less means to run to the aid, but how can He do that if the only thing His Atonement entailed was His death on the cross at Calvary. Let me tell you. I would like to begin by saying this, everything Jesus Christ did during His entire life and ministry was for the purpose of being able to "succor" us. He performed miracles, taught true doctrine and served the least of the people yet others still spat on Him and laughed at Him as He took His cross on His own back to the place of martyrdom. He knows what it feels like to be alone as He states, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46) while on the cross. I asked the individual I previously mentioned above if they knew what the Garden of Gethsemane was and what had happened there. They told me they didn't know. I feel like this is a very important part of what the Atonement is, so I am going to explain it. In Luke 22:41-44 we read that it is here that Christ actually took upon Him the pains and sicknesses of the world. It talks about how Christ's agony was so great that He bled from His pores. I cannot imagine the amount of pain and anguish one must go through to bleed from their pores, but I can imagine it is more painful than anything you or I have experienced. Even if I may not have mentioned it on here, Christ has been through every negative thing you will go through in this life for the sole purpose of being able to "succor" you. That is charity for sure if you ask me! I love my Savior very much and cannot thank Him enough for all that He has done for me. Of this I testify in His sacred name, even Jesus Christ. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment