Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Safety for the Soul"

     I have been thinking about the Book of Mormon and the role it has played in my life and decided to share this talk, "Safety for the Soul," by Jeffrey R. Holland, because of the powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon that is found in it.
     It starts of by talking about the vision Lehi has about the Tree of Life found in 1 Nephi 8. He says, "The principal point of the story is that the successful travelers resist all distractions, including the lure of forbidden paths and jeering taunts from the vain and proud who have taken those paths. The record says that the protected 'did press their way forward, continually [and, I might add, tenaciously] holding fast' to a rod of iron that runs unfailingly along the course of the true path...'I beheld,' Nephi says later, 'that the rod of iron...was the word of God, [leading]...to the tree of life;...a representation of the love of God.'" As it says in this story, the scriptures are what will guide us to return again to our Heavenly Father.
     He goes on to offer up a more modern testimony of this same principle by sharing the testimonies of Joseph and Hyrum Smith as well as his own. I invite you to watch it because I will not do it justice if I try to summarize it, and if you have time I would even invite you to watch the whole talk as it is that powerful.



     He ends by echoing Nephi's witness in his "last days": "Hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ...and they teach all men that they should do good. And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day.” I invite all of you to take the challenge and read and pray from the Book of Mormon and gain a testimony of it's truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. I know it to be true. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment