Tuesday, August 21, 2012

One-Year Mark

     So, a few days ago I hit a pretty big milestone in my mission, the one-year mark. So now, as everyone likes to point out, I am on the downward slope. A tradition that we have as missionaries is that when we hit our one-year mark we burn a shirt. I was able to do that and it was a very fulfilling experience.


     The weird thing was that I didn't feel any different still. Much like when I have a birthday, it felt like nothing was different. It is fact that one more year had passed by, but it still didn't feel any different than the day before. As a matter of fact, I even forgot it was my year mark until about half way through the day when I saw it written in my daily planner. All of this reminds me of a talk I just read titled "Always in the Middle." The part that I would like to focus on is this:
     "When I speak to our young missionaries, I often tell them they are in the middle of their missions. Whether they just arrived the day before or are to depart for home the day after, I ask them to think of themselves as always being in the middle.
     New missionaries may feel they are too inexperienced to be effective, and so they delay speaking or acting with confidence and boldness. Seasoned missionaries who are close to completing their missions may feel sad their missions are coming to a close, or they may slow down as they contemplate what they will do after their missions.
     Whatever the circumstances and wherever they serve, the truth is that the Lord’s missionaries are daily sowing countless seeds of good tidings. Thinking of themselves as always being in the middle of their missions will embolden and energize these faithful representatives of the Lord. As it is with full-time missionaries, so it is with all of us."
     I guess that means I have always felt that I have been at my year mark because really don't feel too different. I really like how he tells us that we are in the middle so that it gives us the ability to be bold and have energy. I am so grateful to be out here in Tennessee on my mission because it gives me that opportunity to spend my time serving the Lord on a full-time, day-to-day basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment