Thursday, November 8, 2012

"Of Regrets and Resolutions"

     The next talk I am going to share is titled, "Of Regrets and Resolutions." I was thinking about saving this for New Years Eve, but I decided to do it now because there is no real good reason to wait till then. All goals set then end up failing anyway. I would also probably regret not doing it earlier. ;)
     He begins with an interesting comment that "We are all mortal." It was kind of interesting to hear that and then it was followed with a question of "Do you have any regrets?" He gives three major regrets that are common among most people as they prepared to depart this life.
     The first one was "I wish I had spent more time with the people I love." He talks about how so many people spend so much of their life busy at work or some other project that isn't that important and how they wish they could go back and spend more time with the ones they love. He also talks about how, especially in our day, many people simply pretend to spend time with others, because "with the click of a mouse, we can 'connect' with thousands of 'friends'" without having to be with them. As this can be used for good, it should not replace those physical relationships with have with people. I love my family so much and I am grateful that I get to spend lots of time with them.
     The second is "I wish I had lived up to my potential." He is quick to define that he does not mean climbing the ladder of success in our various professions. He means we miss out on becoming the person our Heavenly Father intended us to be. "When it comes to living the gospel, we should not be like the boy who dipped his toe in the water and then claimed he went swimming." We need to be fully submerged in the Gospel and become that person that God knows we are capable of being. "The more we devote ourselves to the pursuit of holiness and happiness, the less likely we will be on a path to regrets."
     Lastly "I wish I had let myself be happier." I am not quite sure I can understand this one as well because let me tell you what, I love to be happy. I can't imagine what it would be like to keep myself from enjoying all the many things that I love so much. He uses an example of him and his wife biking (that you will have to read) to get the message across of, "it’s not a race; it’s a journey. Enjoy the moment...Sometimes in life we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey." He makes the point of it is foolish to ruin the enjoyment of an experience, "because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end." My challenge to all is to enjoy the ride that you are on, even if it seems that you have more hills on your trail than the next guy. Take the time to notice the moments that matter most.



     So lets resolve to spend more time with those we love, resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person God wants us to be, and resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances. Just remember "many of the deepest regrets of tomorrow can be prevented by following the Savior today."

No comments:

Post a Comment