Thursday, April 5, 2012

Suffering in Gethsemane

     How much do you appreciate Jesus Christ? Do you love Him as much as He loves you? Does your life show it? With Easter approaching, I though I would focus my next few posts on what the Savior, Jesus Christ, did for us the few days preceding His resurrection. These questions I asked are questions that I think are very important for us to think about each and every day, multiple times a day even. How we answer these questions will tell us how much we need to change in order for Christ's Atonement to have any real effect on us.
     Jesus Christ atoned for our sins. To atone means to suffer the penalty for sins, thereby removing the effects of sin from the repentant sinner and allowing him or her to be reconciled to God. We know that Jesus was the only one capable of doing this and because He did so, we are able to enjoy the benefits that come from it. His sacrifice is free to all who accept him as their Savior. All he asks of us is to have faith in Him, repent and try our best to live worthy lives. We do not need to ask him to be our Savior, because He has already suffered for us; we just have to accept Him and His suffering for us. One of my favorite scriptures in the Bible describes His suffering:
     "And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
     Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
     And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
     And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." (Luke 22:41-44.)
     I know that Jesus Christ suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane for me. I know that through him and his sacrifice I can be saved for the things I do wrong. I know that if each man was the only man to walk the Earth, Christ still would have done what He did. I love my Savior so much. I ask you to ponder those questions I asked before, and if Christ is not in your life as much as you would like I invite you to change that. Let Christ change your life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment