Thursday, April 19, 2012

"Leave It Alone"

     I want to talk a little bit about an article I was reading that struck me as important to write about; it was called "Leave It Alone." I am not sure why I felt it was important, but I did so hopefully it touches and helps someone.
     I would like to start off with a little excerpt. "I plead with you to leave it alone. Stay away from any movie, video, publication, or music—regardless of its rating—where illicit behavior and expressions are part of the action. Have the courage to turn it off in your living room. Throw the tapes and the publications in the garbage can, for that is where we keep garbage."


     My advice to all would be "Don't Start!" However, if you already have, "Stop It!" The path it takes you on is not worth it. People may think they are casually watching and listening to this type of so-called entertainment. They think they are spiritually strong and will be immune to its influence. They do not realize that they are trapped or else soon will be. It will relieve you from the troubles of your day and it will give you immediate pleasure. In reality, it is only relieving you of your spirituality and your capacity to draw on the powers of heaven in times of need. The consequences are eternal. "Satan has slyly and slowly lowered the social norms of morality to a tragic and destructive level." I plead with y'all to not let this spiritually destructive disease get you. Avoid it like the plague, for it is just as destructive.
     "The secret to cleansing our spirit of whatever the impurity is not very complicated. It begins with sincere, heartfelt prayer every morning and ends with prayer every night. This is the most important step I know in the cleansing process. It may simply be a prayer for strength to turn from bad habits, or a prayer that sin will be distasteful to you.
     Meanwhile, remember that not all prayers are answered the same day or even the next day. Sometimes it takes a long time. If you have tried and have given up, I plead with you to try again and again and again. Our Heavenly Father will not forsake your efforts if you persist.
     The second step in this plan of attack is to gain an added measure of spiritual strength through a daily study of the scriptures. Your study need not be long, but it should be every day. If I were you, I would read the scriptures tonight and never let a day pass without reading in them, even if only for a few minutes. The scriptures assist us to overpower darkness with light.
     The third step that I would counsel is: when necessary, receive the blessing that comes in the confession process. Too many are harboring the inner feeling of guilt resulting from unrepented mistakes. Part of the repentance process is confession. If you happen to be one of those who has this need, I plead with you to go see your bishop before the sun sets tomorrow."
     I know that this is inspired of God. We have no need to let this destructive enemy get us. If you are in this trap, I plead with you to get help. The lack of the Spirit in your life is too great a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment